- 2 pounds chicken bones, backs, necks, and/or wings
- 10 cups water
- 2 carrots, cut into chunks
- 2 stalks celery, cut into chunks
- 1 leek, light-green and dark-green parts
- 1 yellow onion, quartered
- 1/2 bulb celery root, trimmed and cut into chunks
- 6 sprigs parsley
- 6 sprigs thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- Combine chicken and water in a large pot.
- Bring to a boil.
- Skim scum from the surface of the liquid.
- Add vegetables, herbs, and spices.
- Reduce to a gentle simmer.
- Keep skimming surface of liquid while mixture simmers.
- Cook, uncovered, for at least 1 hour 15 minutes (longer to get more flavor – 3 hours).
- Once stock has cooled slightly, remove all the meat and vegetables and discard.
- Pour stock through a sieve lined with cheesecloth.
- Use immediately or, if desired, refrigerate overnight and skim any fat from the surface.
Number of servings (yield): 8