Passover Honey Nut Cake
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon finely minced orange zest
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon ( or 1/2 teaspoon for a more pronounced cinnamon flavor)
- 1/2 cup matzoh cake meal
- 1/2 cup finely chopped hazelnuts or almonds
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Generously grease a 7-inch round layer cake pan.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, using a wire whisk, beat the granulated and brown sugars with the oil and eggs until the mixture is thick and pale yellow.
- Stir in the remaining batter ingredients.
- Turn the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the top is light brown and set.
- Cool for at least 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the Soaking Syrup.
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a medium saucepan, combine the ingredients.
- Heat to dissolve the sugar and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes, until the mixture becomes syrupy. \
- Cool well.
- Pour the cooled syrup over the cooled cake, poking holes in the cake with a fork, to permit the syrup to penetrate.
- Allow it to stand refrigerated for 2 to 4 hours to absorb the syrup.