- 3 slices bread torn into large pieces
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 ounce grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 5 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 3 cans (12 oz) evaporated milk
- 2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 8 ounces shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 5 ounces shredded American cheese
- 2 ounces shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 350
- Pulse bread, 4 tablespoons butter, and 1/2 ounce Parmesan in food processor.
- Cook macaroni until al dente.
- Reserve 1/2 cup macaroni cooking water.
- Drain macaroni and set aside.
- Melt remaining butter over medium high heat until foaming.
- Stir in flour and cook, stirring constantly, until it turns light brown.
- Slowly whisk in evaporated milk, hot sauce, nutmeg, mustard, and 2 teaspoons salt.
- Cook until mixture begins to simmer and is slightly thickened (~ 4 mins)
- Remove from heat and whisk in cheeses and reserved water until cheese melts.
- Stir in macaroni.
- Transfer macaroni mixture to 13×9 inch baking dish and top with bread crumbs.
- Bake until cheese is bubbling around the edges and top is golden brown (20-25 mins)
- Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Number of servings (yield): 8
Microformatting by hRecipe.