- 1/4 lb black patent malt
- 1/2 lb chocolate malt
- 1 lb 60 lava bond crystal malt
- 2 (3.3 lb) packages dry amber malt extract
- 2 lbs honey
- 1 oz Perles Hops
- 1 tsp Irish Moss
- 1 oz Willamette Hops
- 5 gallons purified water
- 1 package ale yeast
- Place grains in grain socks and pace grain socks in a pot with at least 1/2 a gallon of water. Bring water to between 150° & 170° and hold for 30 minutes.
- Remove grain socks and pour water over them until you have at least 1 gallon.
- Add malt extract and honey. Stir until completely dissolved. Heat mixture until it boils and foams.
- Remove from heat until foam subsides. Add Perles Hops, and boil for 60 minutes.
- Add Irish Moss and half the Willamette Hops. Boil for another 5 minutes, then remove from heat and chill to room temperature.
- Pour 4 gallons of water to the primary fementer, and add remaining Willamette Hops and beer wort. Stir well. Note the specific gravity. Add yeast. Put lid and air lock on the fermenter.
- Allow to ferment until bubbling slows to 30 to 60 seconds, and transfer to a glass carboy. Note the specific gravity.
- Allow fementation to continue until bubbling stops completely. Note the specific gravity, prime and bottle.
Microformatting by hRecipe.