- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup fresh orange sections (about 1 large orange)
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 5 dates, pitted and chopped
- 1/2 pound (2-inch) slices asparagus, steamed and chilled
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extravirgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- To prepare salad:
- heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onion to pan; sauté 2 minutes.
- Add quinoa to pan; sauté 5 minutes.
- Add 2 cups water and 1/2 teaspoon salt to pan; bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat; let stand 15 minutes or until water is absorbed.
- Transfer quinoa mixture to a large bowl.
- Add orange and rest of salad ingredients
- Toss gently to combine.
- To prepare dressing:
- Combine ingredients in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk.
- Pour dressing over salad; toss gently to coat.
- Serve at room temperature.
Number of servings (yield): 8
Microformatting by hRecipe.