Summary: There are many variations on mincemeat. This one is all fruit; no meat.
- 1/2 cup apple jack
- zest & juice of 1 lemon
- zest & juice of 1 orange
- 1 1/2 cups golden raisins, coarsely chopped
- 4 oz dried figs, coarsely chopped
- 4 oz dried tart cherries, coarsely chopped
- 1 oz crystalized ginger, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 lg apples, grated or finely chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 ground allspice
- 1/4 ground clove
- 1 1/2 tbsp quick-cooking tapioca
- Zest and juice lemon and orange. Pour juice into a bowl with apple jack.
- Chop raisins, figs, cherries, and ginger, and add to bowl of juice and apple jack. Add sugar and zest, and leave to soak.
- While fruit is soaking, melt butter in a large saucepan over medium high heat. Add apples to the pan and sauté. Stir in salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and clove. Add soaked fruit along with soaking liquid and tapioca. Stir to dissolve tapioca, and bring to a boil.
- Boil for 20-30 minutes or until liquids achieve a molasses-like consistency. Cool to room temperature and pour into pie shell
- Bake for 30 minutes in a 400° oven.
Microformatting by hRecipe.