- 3/4 Cup Oil
- 3/4 Cup Sugar
- 3 Cups Warm Water
- 1 Tablespoon Salt
- 5 Eggs
- 3 Yeast Packets
- 8 Cups Flour
- Raisins (optional)
- Poppy Seeds (optional)
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the oil, sugar, 2 cups of warm water, salt and 4 eggs.
- In a small bowl or glass dissolve the yeast in 1/4 cup water for ~5 minutes
- Add the yeast to the oil-water-egg mixture
- Mix in 4 cups of flour and slowly add the remaining 4 cups, mixing in as you go
- Knead for 10 minutes
- Cover bowl and let rise until it doubles in size (~1 hour)
- Punch down and knead for 2 1/2 minutes
- Cover bowl and let rise until it doubles in size (~1/2 hour)
- Divide into halves or thirds.
- Add raisins if desired.
- Let sit for 15 minutes
- Divide each loaf into thirds and braid.
- Let rise until doubles in size (~1 hour)
- Mix remaining egg with remaining water and brush the top of each loaf.
- Sprinkle with poppy seeds if desired.
- Bake in 350ºF oven for 45-55 minutes.
- Let cool.
- Try not to eat all at once.
Microformatting by hRecipe.