- 2 cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 5 -5 1/2 cups bread flour
- 1 egg beaten with water
- Dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water in stand mixer bowl.
- Allow yeast to proof (about 5 to 10 minutes).
- Add salt, oil, and 3 cups of flour.
- Beat for 2 minutes with flat blade.
- Stir in 2 cups flour to make a stiff dough.
- Switch to dough hook and knead about 10 minutes.
- Place in oiled bowl, turn dough to coat all sides, cover and let rise about one hour.
- Punch down and divide in half.
- Shape dough into two long slender loaves.
- Grease and a large baking sheet.
- Place loaves on baking sheet and cut diagonal gashes on top of each loaf.
- Cover and let rise until doubled.
- Brush with egg wash.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes.
Microformatting by hRecipe.