- 1 packet active dry yeast
- 1 ½ tablespoons of granulated sugar
- 1 ½ cups of warm water
- 3 ½ to 4 ½ cups of flour (will need extra for kneading)
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- 6 quarts water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon water
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together water, yeast, and sugar.
- Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Stir in one cup of the flour.
- Add salt, then enough of remaining flour to make a stiff dough.
- Knead the dough for about 10 minutes until it is smooth and elastic.
- Try working in as much flour as possible to form a firm and stiff dough.
- Lightly brush a large bowl with oil.
- Place the dough in the oiled bowl and turn to coat.
- Cover the bowl with a damp dish towel.
- Let rise in a warm place for 1 hour, until the dough has doubled in size.
- Punch the dough down, and let it rest for another 20 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 8 pieces
- Form each section into 10-inch long strips.
- Roll the ends together to seal and make a ring.
- Place on a lightly floured surface, cover, and let rest 25 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 425ºF
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Boil two bagels at a time for 2 minute on each side.
- Wisk egg yolk and water together to form a wash.
- Brush bagels with an egg wash then sprinkle with toppings (if any).
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until golden brown.
- Cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes before serving.
Number of servings (yield): 8
Microformatting by hRecipe.