Summary: I’ve never seen a recipe for Cacciatore that calls for it to be baked, but this one yields delicious results.
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- salt and pepper to taste
- olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups red bell pepper, chopped
- 3/4 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 2 tsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms
- 1 1/3 cups marinara sauce
- 1 oz parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper on both sides. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over med-high heat. In two batches, brown chicken on both sides, then evacuate from pan.
- Add oil to pan if needed, then add bell peppers onion, celery, rosemary, garlic, and 1/8 tsp salt; sauté 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add mushrooms and cook for 6 minutes before adding marinara sauce. Mix thoroughly.
- Spread vegetable mixture evenly in a 13″x9″ baking dish. Arrange chicken on top and bake for 30 minutes, or until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 160°. Sprinkle with cheese and allow cheese to melt.
Traditionally this is served over pasta. However when I made it, I didn’t have any, so I made some mashed potatoes. It was fantastic! The potatoes are a perfect vehicle for the soft vegetables and the sauce.