- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lg egg
- 1/3 cup finely minced onion
- 1/4 breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp sage
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter, divided
- 8 oz sliced mixed mushrooms
- 1 1/2 tbsp flour
- 2 1/2 cups beef stock, divided
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- Combine beef, egg, onion, breadcrumbs, sage, salt, and pepper. Divide into 4 equal portions and shape into oval patties, about 1/2 inch thick.
- Heat 1 tbsp butter over med-high heat. Brown patties on both sides, then remove from pan.
- Add 1 tbsp butter and cook mushrooms until slightly browned. Deglaze pan with 1 1/2 cups beef stock. Stir flour into remaining stock until there are no more clumps, and pour mixture into the pan. Stirring, add Worcestershire sauce. Once sauce begins to thicken, add 1 tbsp butter.
- Return patties to pan, lower heat, and simmer until patties are cooked through. Serve over buttered egg noodles.
Number of servings (yield): 4