- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 sticks unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 1 cup buttermilk (room temperature)
- 2 lg eggs (room temperature)
- 2 tbsp red food coloring
- 1 tsp distilled white vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 350°. Oil and flour three 9″ x 1 1/2″ round cake pans.
- Cream together butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Add next five ingredients (through vanilla extract) and mix together until just combined.
- In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder. Add to mixture in batches, beating until smooth before adding next batch.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until center is done.
The original recipe didn’t call for any butter at all; it was for the frosting. I creamed together the butter and the sugar without checking the recipe. I was worried that it would ruin the cake, but it turned out to be incredibly moist and tender. I think this is the best cake I have ever made.
Preparation time: 30 minute(s)
Cooking time: 30 minute(s)