- 1 4-to 4 1/2-pound beef brisket, trimmed of most fat
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 14 1/2-ounce can diced tomatoes in juice (preferably fire-roasted)
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 pounds onions, sliced
- 4 medium carrots, peeled, roughly chopped
- 1 lb fingerling potatoes
- 16 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 1/2 cups pitted large prunes
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1/3 cup pomegranate molasses
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp honey
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Pat brisket dry; sprinkle all over with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in heavy extra-large dutch oven over high heat.
- Add brisket and cook until deep brown, about 7 minutes per side.
- Set the meat aside and brown the onions, carrots and potatoes for a few minutes.
- Remove vegetables from the dutch oven, and place the meat back in.
- Add tomatoes with juice and wine to dutch oven.
- Distribute onions, carrots, potatoes and garlic around brisket.
- Add prunes and thyme.
- Drizzle with pomegranate molasses, honey and balsamic vinegar.
- Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.
- Cover with a lid and place in the oven.
- Braise for about 3 hours 15 minutes.
If you cannot find pomegranate molasses, reduce pomegranate juice by 2/3 ob the stove top.