Very moist chicken with delicious roasted vegetables. Inspired by Keller’s Roast Chicken Recipe.
- 8 small red potatoes, quartered
- 1 yellow onion, roots cut off but core kept intact and cut into quarters
- 1 red onion, roots cut off but core kept intact and cut into quarters
- ½ cup baby carrots or 4 medium-sized carrots, peeled and cut in 2-inch segments
- 1 small leek, sliced
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme, divided
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
- One 4 to 4 1/2 pound chicken at room temperature, neck and giblets removed
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 Tbsp melted butter
- Preheat oven to 475°F.
- Place the potatoes, onions, carrots, leek, and one sprig of thyme into a bowl. Add 1/3 cup of olive oil and toss with your hands until well coated. Season generously with salt and pepper, then create a bed with the vegetables in a roasting pan.
- Season the cavity of the chicken with salt, pepper, three cloves garlic, and five sprigs of thyme, rubbing all around the cavity, then truss the chicken.
- To truss the chicken, begin by cutting about 3 feet of kitchen string. Place the chicken so that it is breast up, legs pointing toward you. Tuck the wing tips under the chicken. Place the center of the string under the neck end of the bird. Pulling the string ends up over the breast toward you, cross the string under the breast (above the cavity and between the legs). Wrap each end around the closest leg end, and tie tightly so that the legs come together.
- Rub the outside of the chicken with olive oil and season well with salt and pepper. Place on top of the vegetable bed in the roasting pan. Pour the butter over the chicken breasts, and place the pan in the oven.
- Roast the chicken for 25 minutes at 475°F, then reduce the heat to 400°F and roast for an additional 45 minutes, or until the thickest part of the thigh registers 160°F on a meat thermometer and the juices run clear.
- Transfer the chicken to a cutting board, cover with aluminum foil and let rest for 20 minutes.
Preparation time: 25 minute(s)
Cooking time: 1 hour(s) 30 minute(s)