- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 package dry yeast
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 stick melted unsalted butter
- Vegetable oil
- 10 cups water
- 2/3 cup baking soda
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon water
- Kosher salt
- Combine water, sugar, kosher salt and yeast in the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Allow to sit for 5 minutes until the yeast bubbles.
- Switch to dough hook.
- Add the flour and butter.
- Mix on low speed until well combined.
- Change to medium speed and knead until the dough is smooth and pulls away from the side of the bowl (5 minutes). Place the dough in an oiled bowl.
- Proof 50 to 55 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Line 2 sheet pans with parchment paper and lightly brush with vegetable oil.
- Mix 10 cups of water and baking soda and bring to a rolling boil.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces. Roll out each piece of dough into a 24-inch rope.
- Make a U-shape with the rope, holding the ends of the rope, cross them over each other and press onto the bottom of the U in order to form the shape of a pretzel.
- Place each pretzels into the boiling water 30 seconds.
- Remove and boil the next pretzel.
- Place pretzels on the sheet pans
- Beat egg yolk and 1 tablespoon water.
- Brush the top of each pretzel with the egg wash.
- Sprinkle each pretzel lightly with salt. Bake 12 to 14 minutes (until dark golden brown in color).
- Transfer to a cooling rack for 5 minutes.
Number of servings (yield): 8
Microformatting by hRecipe.