- 4 slices thick-cut bacon, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2/3 cup (6 oz) 1/3-less-fat cream cheese
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 (16 oz) packages frozen potato and onion pierogies
- 1 cup sharp cheddar, shredded
- 1/2 cup scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup plum tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Cook bacon over medium heat until crisp; remove from pan and set aside.
- Add garlic to bacon drippings. Cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Add cream cheese and cook until it begins to melt. Gradually add chicken broth, whisking until smooth.
- Spray an 11″x7″ glass baking dish with cooking spray. Arrange pierogies in the dish and top evenly with cream cheese mixture. Top evenly with cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until bubbly and heated through. Remove from oven, sprinkle with bacon, scallions, tomatoes, and pepper.
Number of servings (yield): 8
When I made this the first time, I misunderstood the instructions, and added the scallions, tomatoes, and pepper to the cream cheese mixture. The result was incredibly tasty (easily 5 stars), and I think I like it better because I don’t care for uncooked tomatoes or onions, but your taste may differ.